This website and its content is copyright of the Macomb County Heritage Alliance- © 2016. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
You may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only
You may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material
You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
The following are a few links to historical museums or places to visit to learn about the history of Macomb County and the surrounding metropolitan area of the State of Michigan. We have also provided, for your convenience, links to help those interested in researching their family tree and links to local libraries that may either be able to provide you with resources and/or assistance in your research. Just click on the name of the museum and/or ogranization/website to access them.
Macomb County Heritage Alliance
Andrews Schoolhouse: In 1881 six one room schoolhouses dotted the countryside in Shelby Township, with 390 students. Schools were named for the land donor or geographical and physical features. This small wooden building is the former one room Andrews Schoolhouse. It dates back to the 1800’s. The school was originally located at the northeast corner of 25 Mile and Mound Roads. It was named for Hiram Andrews who owned the land on which the school was built. The school was moved to its present location in 1976 as part of the Shelby Township’s Bicentennial project.
Bancroft-Stranahan Home: Located at 132 Church Street, Romeo, Michigan is operated by the Romeo Historical Society. This 1868 Greek revival was used by the Bancroft and Stranahan families of Romeo. It has period settings including furniture, clothing, kitchenware and changing displays. It also has a collection of oil paintings by William Gibbs. This museum is open every Tuesday from 7-9 p.m. or by appointment.
Baumgartner House: Located in Fraser, Michigan and is operated by the Fraser Historical Commission. A native of Bavaria, John Baumgartner purchased this property in Erin Township in 1856, becoming one of Fraser's first landowners. Around 1866 he and his wife, Samantha, moved here with the first three of their seven children. In 1875 they erected this house in the Rundbogenstil (round arch mode), a German architectural style popularized in the United States from the 1840s through the 1860s. The round windows, square plan and perfect symmetry reflect the style. The farm included outbuildings and orchards. For more information on the historical commission and/or historical society, please click on the name of the house.
Bunert School: The Bunert school building was named for August and Mine Bunert, who sold land to Warren School District No. 4 in January 1875. The school was built later that year on the north-east corner of the intersection of Bunert and Martin roads. When classes ceased in 1944, it was the longest - serving one - room school in Warren. In 1987 the board and batten building was donated to the Warren Historical Society, and then moved to a location on the south side of Warren Tower High School. The Bunert School Open House, 1-4 pm the first Sunday of each month except January, July & September. 27900 Bunert (S. of 12 Mile Rd.) on the Warren Woods Tower High School campus.
Chesterfield Historical Society's Historic Village: The Chesterfield Township Historical Society was founded in 1993 for the purpose of preserving the history of Chesterfield Township. The society’s members are devoted to the discovery, collection and preservation of historic materials, buildings, monuments, markers, sites, artifacts and publications.
Clinton Township Historical Village and Museum: The Clinton Township Historical Village Museum includes the 1880's Moravian Hall, with artifacts and information on the history of Clinton Township (such as locks from the nearby Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal), and the 1850's Williams Log Cabin, newly-refurbished as a living history museum. The Village is located at the southeast corner of Romeo Plank and Canal Roads in Clinton Township, and is open during select events throughout the year and by appointment.
Clyde Craig Blacksmith Museum: Located at 301 N. Bailey Street, Romeo, Michigan is operated by the Romeo Historical Society. The Craig shop was first a carriage barn. In 1881, it became a tinsmith shop owned by Fritz Engle. In 1913, it was an upholstery shop, and between 1918 and 1920, it was an auto repair shop. In 1920 Clyde Craig opened a blacksmith, farrier, fur-trading station, veterinarian and wheelwright shop. When Craig died in 1970, the shop was moved by the Society and turned into a working blacksmith shop/museum. Using the 2,800 degree forge, smiths still use the old tools to shape metal, just as in the past. This museum is open by appointment.
The Crocker House Museum: The first mayor of Mount Clemens, Joshua Dickinson, built this Italianate home in 1869. His daughter, Katherine, the great-granddaughter of city founder Christian Clemens, and his son-in-law, George M. Crocker, moved into the house after their marriage in 1870. The house was moved in 1908 to make room for a new post office, but the Crocker family remained in the home and owned the house until 1921. Max Cohen purchased the home and remodeled it into four apartments. He continued to live in the home until his new residence was built in 1927. Harry Chevalier purchased the home in 1934 and resided there until the 1970s when the Michigan State Highway Department purchased the home for $17,000. Slated for removal or demolition in 1975 it was rescued by the Macomb County Historical Society, which moved it to Union Street in 1976 for use as a local history museum. The museum offers a late Victorian home-life experience reminiscent of the world renowned Mineral Bath Era of Mount Clemens in Macomb County, Michigan.
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House: Edsel & Eleanor Ford House tells the story of the home life of a prominent American family. The Fords were cultural, social and economic leaders in an era of great optimism, as well as a turbulent time of economic depression and world war. They were nationally prominent and they owned more than one house, but Southeast Michigan was their home. Here they built their final residence along the shores of Lake St. Clair, at a place known locally as Gaukler Pointe. Their impressive yet unpretentious home is where they raised and nurtured their four children - Henry II, Benson, Josephine and William - in a safe and loving environment. It reflects their love of family as well as their mutual passion for art and quality design.
Grand Pacific House: Located in downtown New Baltimore this late 1800's hotel was constructed for Frederick C. Losh. It is the last remaining hotel of the era. The limestone for it's deep foundation was shipped to New Baltimore from Kelly's island in Lake Erie, near Sandusky, Ohio. Local bricklayers constructed the two-story building on Washington Street. The "modern" hotel featured a lobby, dining room, and Saloon on the first floor, with eight bedrooms on the second floor.
Around 1910, when business began to decline, the Grand Pacific House became a boarding house and later, a private residence. During the 1920's the saloon was transformed into a soda fountain and candy store. In 1927, it was converted into a hardware store by Ed Maliskey, who ran the store until his passing in 1972.
The New Baltimore Historical Society purchased the building in 1986 thanks to many fundraising efforts and generous donations. Ten years later, the Grand Pacific House received it's Michigan State Historic marker. In the late 1800's, New Baltimore was a favorite destination for vacationing Detroiters. Visitors would ride out on the Detroit Urban Railroad or sail to Anchor Bay aboard steamships such as the Tashmoo. Rental cottages, hotels and mineral baths awaited.
Halfway School: Located in Eastpointe, Michigan and operated by the East Detroit Historical Society, it is on East Nine Mile Road near Gratiot Ave. The school was built in 1872 and still maintains its same furnishings, wood, and roofing. For more information, please check out East Detroit's Historical Society Blog by clicking on the name of the school. The school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872-1921. In 1838, students were taught in a German farmer’s home, Christian Gerlach. During the 1840’s a log building was used as the classroom, and the 1850’s a red framed school was built, and that’s when this final structured was built to help house the children in 1872, because the red building was becoming to small.
Hope Chapel: Hope Chapel is located on municipal grounds in Shelby Township. It was build in the late 1890s as Hope United Methodist Church and its original home was on the west side of Van Dyke just north of 24 Mile Road. In 2001, it was moved to the municipal grounds next to the historic Andrews School House Museum. The Chapel has been renovated and is available for wedding ceremonies and other events.
Lac Ste. Clair Voyageurs: The purpose of this group is to learn about, teach, and experience the rich history of the Great Lakes Fur Trade Era. We portray the people of the Great Lakes Region known as the Coureurs de Bois and Voyageurs, as well as the early settlers of this region.
We learn and teach by exchanging information, dressing, canoeing, camping, cooking and craft working in the same manner as these early settlers.
We welcome all individuals who are interested to join us! For more information you can click on their name, which will take you to their Facebook Page, or look them up on the Historical & Genealogical Organizations page of this website.
Loren Andrus Octagon House: Loren Andrus came from New York to Washington as a youth with his parents in 1828. At the age of 21 he was employed as a surveyor of the Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal and later worked on the railroad from Port Huron to Flint. In 1841, Loren married Lucina Davis, who had also come with her parents from New York and settled in the area. Loren Andrus, with the help of his brother-in-law David Stewart, and using Fowler’s book, A Home For All as a guide, began building his Octagon House in 1858. Most of the material for construction of the home was acquired from his surrounding farmland. Known as the house of eights, the Octagon House was completed in 1860. The house was an active place for social events. Loren and Lucina’s eight children entertained friends and family with dances, games, taffy pulls and songs around the piano. Lucina died in 1890. Four years later Loren sold his beloved Octagon House and moved to Detroit to live with his daughter. Many owned the house between 1894 and 1987. It has been a farm, restaurant, educational site for Wayne State University, living history farm and lastly a historic home museum. In 1971 the Octagon House was listed on the National Register of Historical Places and in 1972 recognized as a State of Michigan Historic site.
Lorenzo Cultural Center: The Cultural Center, located at Macomb Community College on Garfield Road, Clinton Township, Michigan will have a new display March 2 through May 7, 2016: The 1940's: Through the War and Beyond. Check their website for more details.
The Michigan Military & Technical Museum: The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society (MTHS) is a group dedicated to portraying and preserving the story of the role played by Michigan's civilian and military personnel in 20th century conflict, showcasing, wherever possible, the products of Michigan’s “Arsenal of Democracy”. Open Saturday 10 am to 5 pm and Sunday noon to 5 pm. Other days and times by appointment. Admission fee.
The Michigan Transit Museum: The depot was built for the Chicago, Detroit & Canada Grand Trunk Junction Railway to serve the growing village and county seat of Macomb County: Mount Clemens. In 1862 at this depot, young Thomas Edison saved the station agent's small child from certain death. The child was on the tracks in the path of a rolling box car. In appreciation, the station agent taught Tom telegraphy. And so began Edison's short career in railroading. Some of his earliest inventions were based on what he learned at the station. The depot continued in railroad use until 1980, when the City of Mount Clemens bought it and leased it to Michigan Transit Museum for use as its headquarters and museum. The depot is now restored to its 1900 appearance. Inside are exhibits surrounding railroading of that era. Also inside is a railroad gift shop. There's quite a selection of items available that make great gifts or conversation pieces. As a reminder, the train depot is unfortunately NOT the location from which the Trolley-Train departs.
Packard Proving Grounds: The Packard Proving Grounds was built in 1927 at a cost of over one-million dollars. It contained beautiful Tudor-revival buildings, grand entrance gates, parkways, and a timing tower, all designed by famed-architect Albert Kahn. One of the planted areas between the front driveways was shaped like the famous Packard radiator shell. After Packard's demise, the property changed hands several times and eventually ended up being owned by the Ford Motor Land Development Corporation. They used the property down through the years for various purposes, but were good custodians of the important artifacts -- thus saving them from the fate of so many other historic automotive treasures. By the year 1998, Ford determined that the best use of the over 300-acre property would be for development. A group of interested historians from many walks of life including members of Packard clubs, the Classic Car Club, and the Antique Automobile Club joined together with the elected officials and citizens of Shelby Township to save a significant portion of the Proving Grounds as a historic site. The Packard Motor Car Foundation offered to open negotiations with Ford. Extensive negotiations and re-negotiations taking place for several years led to Ford's offer to gift the seven acres of land containing the grand entrance gates, the Lodge building, the Garage building, the elevated water storage tank, and the Chrysler Defense building to the Foundation for restoration and perpetual care. An additional seven acres was acquired that contains the timing tower, a 458-foot section of the test track, and the relocated Lindbergh hangar. Ford handed over the keys in 2002 and the Foundation began an immediate campaign to raise the funds necessary for the project.
Richmond Historical & Genealogical Society's Historic Village: The Richmond Area Historical and Genealogical Society (RAHGS) is a non-profit organization established in January 1990 when a group of citizens gathered in the Richmond Public Library to pursue a common interest: the preservation of a 19th Century one-room schoolhouse which was located in the middle of a cornfield owned by James McKiernan of Richmond Township. Shortly thereafter, the newly formed Society was offered a former Grand Trunk Railroad Depot from Columbus Township, which was owned by Joseph Maranzano and located on Rattle Run Road. Members and interested individuals were able to save these historic buildings by moving them to the Bailey Park property which was donated to the Society by the City of Richmond. In 1996, the descendants of John Donley donated a log cabin and outhouse which were also moved to the park. In 2007 the Society raised funds and built a replica blacksmith shop to sit alongside the historic buildings. The building was completed in the spring of 2009 and serves as a museum, office space, and storage.
The Romeo Arts and Archives Museum: Located at 290 N. Main Street, Romeo, Michigan is operated by the Romeo Historical Society. The archives building was the Romeo Michigan State Police Post from 1936 to 2000 when it was purchased by the Society. It holds archives related to Romeo’s past. There is a small research library for studying the history of your house or Romeo citizens of the past (it contains oil paintings by William Gibbs). Changing displays interpret Romeo’s past. This museum is open Tuesday evenings from 7-9 p.m. or by appointment.
Selfridge Military Air Museum: The Selfridge Military Air Museum and Air Park is located on Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township, Michigan right on beautiful Lake St. Clair. It is the primary outreach effort of the Michigan Air Guard Historical Association (MAGHA). The Selfridge Military Air Museum and the Michigan Air Guard Historical Association receive no Federal or State funding. They are totally dependent on contributions, membership dues, and a small gift shop for operating capital. Most of their sources of revenue are tax-deductible. The museum and air park is open from the first weekend in April to the last weekend in October annually.
Selinsky-Green Farmhouse/Museum: The Historical Society supports and cooperates with the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission in collecting, preserving and recording this community's history. It provides funds to meet special needs of the Historical Commission including: publication of Muskrat Tales, furnishings for the Selinsky-Green Farmhouse Museum, photo collections, historical videos and oral histories. It is also responsible for organizing programs of historical interest, taping oral histories, tour guides in the Selinsky-Green Farmhouse Museum, fund raising, herb and plant sales, research and writing, maintaining the historic photograph collection, and clerical work for special projects.
Simpson Park Campground: In the mid 1800s throughout the north and south, the phenomena of camp meetings paralleled a wave of spiritual revival. Simpson Park is Michigan’s oldest such continually-operated camp, recognized by the Michigan Historic Sites registry. Simpson Park is named for Bishop Matthew Simpson, Abraham Lincoln’s trusted spiritual advisor and confidant. We don’t know whether Honest Abe ever graced this sacred Michigan soil, but the heritage of his era and the integrity of his contemporaries lives strong here.
Upton House: The Upton House is located in Sterling Heights, Michigan and is open for tours and special events through the Sterling Heights Historical Commission. It was constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story balustrade, a cupola, period chimneys and refurbished window units. According to oral tradition, the interior building materials were imported from England. Most farmsteads of this era were constructed of wood; the brick used on this one demonstrates the affluence of its builder. By 1891 the Upton farm consisted of 138 acres. Upton farmed this land and sold fish from the Clinton River. When the exterior restoration of the house was done in 1981-82, the interior was adapted for use as public offices.
Washington Township's Historical Society's Museum: The Washington Historical Museum is in the old Washington High School. The school was built in 1916 and officially opened in January, 1917. It was constructed with three classrooms upstairs and an auditorium downstairs. Classes were held in this building until 1972. The Museum was established in 1975 and incorporates special exhibits in five large rooms with a Freedom Shrine that includes more than 30 photographic reproductions of historic documents. Other exhibits include items from the greater Washington area, farm tools, a printing press, old pictures of the Washington and Romeo area, displays with items from the Civil War, World War I and II, and Desert Storm. The Museum also has an extensive collection on Boy Scouting in addition to its collection of genealogical information.The Museum is featuring an extensive display on George Washington, which includes many pictures and commemorative items from our country's Bicentennial. Other displays include a Music Room, a Vintage Sports Display, an early 1900's kitchen, and prom dresses from 1910 to 1979. In 2007, the Historical Society initiated an Historic Date Plaque Program. Any structure 50 years or older will qualify if it is researched and documented with an abstract, deeds, maps, court records, tax records, newspaper articles, family histories, etc.
Wolcott Mill Metropark Farm Center: This farm is part of the Huron-Clinton Metropark System and is a 250-acre working farm. Wolcott Mill is the only known public farm in the state of Michigan where all six heritage breeds of dairy cow, Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Jersey, Milking Short Horn and Holstein, reside year-round. In addition, the farm features a wide variety of other animals, including miniature and draft horses, multiple species of sheep and goats as well as a wide variety of farm fowl. Visit the greenhouse and gardens or, when available, take a horse-drawn wagon ride through the crop fields.
Wolcott Mill: The 1847 historical mill at Wolcott Mill Metropark offers a glimpse of bygone times through its complete grain grinding machinery, exhibits, special events and programs. In 2010 the mill was named to the National Register of Historic Places through the National Park Service, Department of Interior. The historical center's interpreters create a friendly atmosphere to gain a better understanding of Michigan's heritage through experiences and hands on opportunities. The mill is located in the 2,380 acre park which also offers a golf course and a farm center with a 3,600 square foot farmhouse, modern comfort station, three barns, a chicken coop, two outdoor pavilions, and plenty of space for walking/hiking.
Charles H. Wright Museum: Welcome to the world's largest institution dedicated to the African American experience! The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History opens minds and changes lives through the exploration and celebration of African American history and culture. An amazing adventure of history, art and achievement awaits you or your group at The Wright Museum
Detroit Historical Museum: Since its founding in 1921, the Detroit Historical Society has been dedicated to ensuring that the history of our region is preserved so that current and future generations of metro Detroiters can better understand the people, places and events that helped shape our lives.
In 1928, our leaders founded the Detroit Historical Museum, and for the next 20 years, we operated the Museum and preserved our region’s rich history through the collection and conservation of artifacts. In 1945, we transferred ownership of the Museum and the collections to the City of Detroit and changed our focus to fundraising and marketing activities for the Detroit Historical Museum and, later, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum.
The Henry Ford: Lots of great things to see and do @ this site: The Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, the IMAX Theatre, The Ford Rouge Factory Tour, Benson Ford Research Center. Check out their website to plan your visit in advance.
The Motown Museum: The Motown Museum was founded by Esther Gordy Edwards in 1985 and there is an extensive display of Motown artifacts, photographs, and other memorabilia. Its mission is the preservation of the legacy of the Motown Record Company, which was established in 1959 by Berry Gordy.
The Holocaust Memorial Center: The Holocaust is a history not only of evil, although the evil is undeniable, but also of great courage, strength and righteousness. The Holocaust Memorial Center Zekelman Family Campus has been teaching about the Holocaust and its legacy for more than 25 years, and its building, exhibits and programs have been receiving international accolades and heartfelt thanks from our millions of visitors. The Wall Street Journal, in a front-page article about our museum said in reference to the provocative nature of our building that our museum “may be the most provocative museum of them all.” We are pleased that the architecture of this historic museum stirs the public consciousness of the unprecedented horrific crime of the Holocaust. Knowledge of the past is essential in order to avoid its repetition.
Meadow Brook Hall: Meadow Brook Hall is the historic home built by Matilda Dodge Wilson, widow of auto pioneer John Dodge, and her second husband, Alfred Wilson. Constructed between 1926 and 1929, it was the center of a country estate that included 1,500 acres, numerous farm buildings, recreational facilities, several residences and formal gardens. The rich Meadow Brook history spans from its origins with the Dodge and Wilson families to the founding of Meadow Brook Hall and Oakland University today.
Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm: Because appreciation of the present is enhanced by understanding the past, the Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm interprets, preserves and collects the history of the greater Rochester area for present and future generations. The museum is the primary site for learning about and preserving the history of the greater Rochester area in Oakland County, Michigan, as a representative of similar communities throughout Michigan. Located in Stoney Creek Village, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, this 16-acre museum complex was home to the Taylor and Van Hoosen families dating back to 1823. It features structures original to the property from 1840 to the early 20th century. Presented in a restored 1927 dairy barn are well-designed and informative exhibits highlighting the settlement, agriculture, industry and cultural evolution of this community. The museum serves as the repository for artifacts and archives related to the greater Rochester area and offers access for research.
Troy Historic Village: The Troy Historic Village offers our patrons: Ten historic buildings and a charming Village Green, carefully restored and open for touring; a fine collections of nineteenth and early twentieth century artifacts; fully interactive programs and reenactments that make history come alive; special events that celebrate our past and present in a family-friendly environment; the perfect setting for exploring, discovering, and enhancing your understanding of local history; an ideal field trip destination; one that immerses students and teachers in the learning process while in an intimate setting; a great setting for a picnic lunch and afternoon on the green; and a terrific place to visit again and again. The Troy Historical Village is open all year.
The Walter P. Chrysler Museum: The 55,000-square-foot museum features three floors of more than 65 antique, custom and concept vehicles interspersed with interactive displays and historical exhibits that tell the story of the automaker's contributions to automotive design, technology and innovation, as well as the automobile's impact on American culture.
St. Clair County:
The Port Huron Museum: The Port Huron Museum celebrates the history and culture of the Blue Water Area and fosters an appreciation of other peoples and places. Through exhibitions, education, and public programs, the Museum inspires knowledge of the past, participation in the present, and an imagination for the future. It includes the Carnegie Center, Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, Huron Lightship, and Thomas Edison Depot.
Access Genealogy: Michigan: A sizable listing of links for cemeteries, census records, maps, military records, vital records, and dozens of local links.
Daughters of the American Revolution: Michigan DAR: The DAR, founded in 1890 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., is a non-profit, non-political volunteer women's service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and securing America's future through better education for children. As one of the most inclusive genealogical societies in the country, the DAR boasts over 170,000 members in over 3,000 chapters across the United States and internationally. Any woman 18 years or older, regardless of race, religion, or ethnic background, who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution, is eligible for membership.
DiBean Marriage Index: An index of marriages from Michigan that were collected from various places.
Family Search.org: This website is provided by the The Church of the Latter Day Saints. It is a "free" research tool to use in your search for information on your family's ancestors. If you need personalized or additional assistance in your search there are Family Centers located throughout the country that you can visit and ask for assistance.
Find-a-Grave:This link will help you to "find graves of famous people around the world:, or use it to search for and find the graves of your ancestors. You can also create a "virtual" memorial, add flowers, and a note at your loved one's grave.
Genealogical Death Indexing System (GENDIS): The Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics of Michigan has provided access to information from archived death records. This data was obtained from microfilmed death ledgers, which have been transcribed by genealogists from local genealogical societies. The current system contains information on over 170,000 Michigan death records.
Genealogy Resources by Veritas Prep: This resource provides an easy-to-read article on the history and research process of genealogy. It also provides resources to help you get started on your genealogical search.
History at Home: A guide to genealogy: This reference provides links to connect you with other resources for your genealogy research. It was provided by a local Macomb County after-school-program coordinator and her class this summer.
Macomb County Cemetery Locator: If you are looking for cemeteries located within Macomb County, then click on this link.
Macomb County Death Index: This website provides a means for searching for your ancestors who lived in Macomb County from 1900-2016.
Michigan American Local History Network: The Michigan American Local History Network is a central point of entry to independent websites with historical and genealogical content.
Michigan Cemeteries: The Michigan Cemetery Sources website represents a compilation of published cemetery transcriptions located at the Library of Michigan and links to Michigan cemetery websites. This database also identifies the location of over 3,700 cemeteries in Michigan and includes burial information.
Michigan Census Records: Provides access to all available census records online. This includes both free and paid subscriptions.
Michigan County Histories and Atlases:The Michigan County Histories and Atlases Digitization Project is comprised of 428 digitized titles published before 1923. The collection offers all members of the community free keyword searching and page-by-page access to digitized reproductions of Michigan county histories and atlases as a resource for historical and genealogical research.
Michigan Family History: This website has information about conducting genealogy research and using the Michigan Library and Historical Center, as well as links to online research tools you may use from anywhere with an Internet connection.
Michigan Genealogical Council: This website provides links to Michigan libraries, GenWeb project sites, cemetery records, newspapers, death records, and other finding aids.
Michigan GenWeb: This website provides links and information about Michigan genealogy projects.
Michigan Sons of the American Revolution: The objectives of this Michigan Society are declared to be patriotic, historical, and educational. It includes activities designed to perpetuate the memory of those Patriots who gave of their services and sacrifices during the American Revolution. Check out their website for more information.
Michigan Tombstone Transcription Project: This website is a statewide listing of cemeteries. By selecting a cemetery under a county listing, you will find a list of tombstones and photos if taken.
Michigan Vital Records: The State of Michigan's Vital Records Office has records of births, deaths, and marriages that occurred in Michigan and were filed with the state as early as 1867, and divorce records as early as 1897. We also have Affidavits of Parentage that were filed in the Central Paternity Registry since June 1, 1993. (Affidavit of Parentage records filed prior to that date would need to be obtained from the court where they were filed.)
Mount Clemens Public Library: The Mount Clemens Public Library has a well organized genealogy research room. Their website contains many databases which are searchable and links for requesting information found on their site.
Seeking Michigan: 1897-1952: This collection consists of nearly one million death records created between 1897 and 1952. If you're doing genealogy research, you might use these records to fill in gaps in your family history. You can even find out where your ancestors are buried, and even where some ancestors were born, if that information was listed on the death certificate as someone's parent.
1859 Gazetteer of Macomb County: This website provides photographs of the wall map of Macomb County in 1859.
1859 Maps of Macomb and St. Clair Counties: This website is a digital archive provided by the Clinton-Macomb Library. These maps are scanned in high quality and provide very readable maps.
1870 Michigan Census: The Michigan 1870 Census index is an alphabetical list of the family names in each household residing in every county and township of Michigan in 1870.
The following is a list of libraries and resources in Macomb County Libraries that pertain to historical and genealogical research. Just click on the name of the library to go to its website.
7390 Church Street
The library's second floor is devoted to local history and includes microfilm of Armada Times. The library also has indexes to local cemeteries available. The library also hosts the Armada Genealogy Society which meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November @ 10 a.m. in the library.
Center Line, Michigan
Center Line Public Library has a small local history collection on the 977 shelf.
50560 Patricia Avenue
This library has an extensive Michigan history collection with several books on the local area; they also host photos and artifacts from the Chesterfield Historical Society. They also have a subscription to: Ancestry Library edition (in library use only).
4090 Romeo Plank Road
Clinton Township, Michigan
35891 S. Gratiot
Clinton Township, Michigan
Local history room's Digital Guide to Resources is on the library's website. There are maps of the local area. The Donald W. Green Local History Room is located in the main branch on the second floor of the library. A room pass key must be obtained from the Reference Librarian. The room is open during regular library hours. The local history collection contains over 2,000 volumes and continues to grow. There is a complete set of the Pioneer History collection; an almost complete collection of all Michigan History Magazine issues; a growing collection of local area maps; the 1928 Pageant of Progress published by Nellis Newspapers; a collection of video and DVD on local history subjects and programs. There are also computer hook ups at the reading tables. The Clinton Township Historical Commission's meetings are held in this room and the Society meets in the library's main auditorium.
15875 Oak Street
Eastpointe's Library houses a clipping file, books on Eastpointe, and the East Detroit School's files.
16330 Fourteen Mile Road
The library houses issues of the Strawberry Preserves Newsletter, published by the Fraser Historical Commission and maintains a Michigan history collection.
58976 Main Street
New Haven, Michigan
The library houses the archive for the New Haven Herald (1947, 1949, 1950-69) and a local history book: Reflections of a Unique Village by Laura Falk (c1980), which includes lots of local history and photos.
The library houses a fair-sized Michigan and local history collection by the Circulation Desk, housing lots of photos and genealogy section along with the Macomb County Index.
36480 Main Street
New Baltimore, Michigan
The library has a small history section along with Yearbooks, archival files, and a Clipping file. They also have on microfilm older issues of the Anchor Bay Beacon/New Haven starting in 1948.
34830 Potter Street
The library has clipping files of the North Macomb Voice & Armada Times. They also have a Cemetery Listing, local pamphlets, photos, and maps from the 1950s. Viewing is by request at the Circulation Desk.
150 Cass Avenue
Mount Clemens, Michigan
This library's historical and genealogical collection is extensive and is housed in their Local History & Genealogy Room, which is open during all regular library hours by signing in at the Reference Desk. There are volunteer genealogists generally available for in-depth assistance during selected hours. The Macomb County Genealogy Group meets regularly at the library. The resources include:
64255 Wolcott Road
The library has some items accessible to the public, including photos, issues of the Romeo Observer (1966-67). Another source of information and photos would be through the Ray Township Historical Society. Please call ahead to make arrangements to view items.
65821 Van Dyke
The library has Clipping files, pamphlets, local history books, and maps. They also house the Romeo Observer's bound editions yearbooks from the 1950s and a few from the 1940s.
107 Church Street
The library provides a history room and history displays within the library. It also has old atlases, plat maps, and many photos of the Roseville area (many of these photos have been lent to local merchants for display). The city also has a Genealogy and Historical Society that meets in the library and there is information available on Irish Genealogy Groups and subscriptions to history magazines and journals. There are also oral history with locals.
22500 Eleven Mile Road
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
The library houses the Arthur M. Woodford Local History Room on the lower level. Their collection includes historical photographs that has been digitiged on Hyperion, Michigan County histories and atlases, 4000 volumes on Michigan topics, school yearbooks, and maritime publications. They also have The St. Clair Shores Herald, The Connection and St. Clair Shores Sentinel newspapers (some microfilmed), and Erin Township Records (microfilm). The Selinsky-Green Museum (an 1878 farmhouse) is located behind the library and contains artifacts from 1878-1910.
227333 C. Street
Selfridge ANG Base, Michigan 48045
For access to this library and its artifacts, please contact the Selfridge Military Air Museum and make arrangements with the Museum Direction, Lieut. Colonel Louis J. Nigro (USAF, Retired). The library houses photographs, documents, and books on the history of Selfridge Field aka Selfridge ANG Base, along with information on the various units/personnel that were stationed there, and military aviation in general.
51680 Van Dyke
Shelby Township, Michigan
The library has sections of Macomb County history available; there are also special vertifical files for historical documents, which include the Shelby Township rolls of 1875-1920 in original document format. They also have a couple of hanging maps of the area dated 1904 and 1944. Many of the artifacts are stored with the Shelby Township Historical Society.
40255 Dodge Park
Sterling Heights, Michigan
The library has on microfilm the Utica Sentinel (1860 to about 1960 when it discontinued printing) along with old plat books including 1956. On microfilm, they also have some Sterling Township documents, Sterling Township maps from the early 1900s, a clipping file from 1980s on, lots of photos (some of which have been uploaded to Hyperion D.M.A., a book about the area, entitled Six Miles From Home, oral history tapes, and other archival materials (that are available upon request from back adult services area).
7530 Auburn Road
The library has two file cabinets that are dedicated to local history, including clippings, photos and more. The collection may also include old phone books, map of St. Clair and Macomb Counties 1859, and several old photos of the Utica area. There is also copies of the Utica Sentinel (which became the Source from 1876-1971) mostly on microfilm, though some issues are in original format.
Civic Center Library
1 City Square
Arthur Miller Branch
5460 Arden Road
Dorothy Busch Branch
23333 Ryan Road
Maybelle Burnette Branch
22005 Van Dyke
The libraries maintain historical materials of Michigan in the 977 area of the libraries along with archives of the Macomb Daily and Pastimes. The Warren Historical Society has most of the historical resources and artifacts of Warren and is located @ 5460 Arden Road.